Please review these carefully. We regret that noncomplying entries will have to be disqualified without refund.
- Entries, characters and worlds must be original to the writer unless characters are real people. Fan fiction is not allowed.
- Winning entries from previous SAWG contests are not eligible.
- Entries previously published in any medium except for brief samples on authors’ social media or web sites are not eligible.
- Entries accepted before the contest closes for publication elsewhere must be withdrawn.
- Entries that do not conform to all requirements will be disqualified.
- Entry fees are not refundable.
- Unlike many other contests, SAWG entrants retain all rights to their contest entries. SAWG will publish no part of an entry except the author’s name and the title. A piece that enters or even wins does not count as being published.
- The Guild will retain one copy of each winning entry. These will be available in case a claim of plagiarism is levied at a later date.
- Book-length fiction
- Short story
- Nonfiction (including memoir), either length
- Romance, either length
The Submission Requirements
- Book-length: 500-word-maximum synopsis plus first 5,000 words
- Short: maximum length 12,000 words
- Poetry: no size limits
- File type must be .doc, .docx or .pdf
- Font must be Times New Roman 12-point or Courier 12-point.
- Author’s name or identifying information must not appear anywhere in the document.
- Paragraphs must be double-spaced.
- Pages must have one-inch margins all around.
- Pages must be numbered in the footer section of the page.
- Entry category and title must appear as a header of each page, including the first page.
The Deadlines & Entry Fees
|Poems||All Other Genres|
|Early bird: Sept 1 – Dec 15||$7 per entry||$26 per entry|
|Late Bloomer: Dec 16 – Jan 31||$12 per entry||$32 per entry|
Discount: $5 per entry (except poetry) for students, military and Guild members.
The contest will close at 11:59 PM Central (US) on January 31, 2020.
In each category:
- First place $100
- Second place $50
- Third place $25
- Honorable mention
Every prize includes one year’s SAWG membership (a $35 value) and a link to the writer’s web site on SAWG’s web page.
A writer may receive only one prize per category.
Number of Entries
A writer may submit two entries per category, ten total entries per person.
There are two rounds of blind judging.
- The first round is done by writer volunteers screened, selected and trained by SAWG.
- Each entry will be assessed by at least three judges who are familiar with that genre.
- Volunteer judges will have no contest entries in the genres they judge.
- Five entries in each category with the highest initial scores will advance to the final round.
- The final judges are professional writers who specialize in the entries’ genres.
- Winners will be contacted by email, announced at the monthly meeting following the completion of judging, invited to read their winning entries at a SAWG meeting, and their names and websites will be posted on the SAWG website.
- All contestants may, if they wish, receive the detailed score sheets for their work, including all judges’ comments and advice, via email after the winners are announced.
- All finalists may correspond with their final judges if they wish to.
How to Submit and Pay
Send your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment to an email. Pay your submission fee through this PayPal form: