San Antonio Writers' Guild hosts writing critique sessions most Wednesday evenings and Saturday afternoons. Members sign up to read their work, and attendees discuss plot, pacing, dialogue, and general writing craft. Visitors are welcome, as are all genres - fiction writing and non-fiction/poetry.
The Wednesday workshops are held at various locations. Join our mailing list, or join SAWG, to get the details on upcoming locations.
On the first Thursday of each month, SAWG holds a general meeting at 7:00 p.m. A typical agenda includes welcoming new members and visitors, sharing good and bad news, notification of upcoming events, Guild business, and a program - most often a professional writer speaking on topics of interest to the group.
Visitors are welcome. Our Board of Directors meeting is at 6:00, and members may sit in on that meeting as well.
SAWG 25th Annual Contest Winners
- Camembert in Camelot - Robin Hostetter
- Rywka's Story - April Grunspan
- Leaving Iowa - Silvia Foster-Frau
- Honorable Mention: Rex - Stewart Smith
- Honorable Mention: Tin Can - Jennifer Ravenscroft
- Coffee Mugs and Falling Leaves - Christopher Knodel
- My "I-Just-Got-Laid-Off" Dress - Monica Berry
- A Night to Remember - Janet Alyn
- Honorable Mention: Daddy's Hands - Jean Jackson
- Honorable Mention: Other People's Carrots - Kenneth Bennight
- The Cataract and the Cockroach - Janet Alyn
- Mr. President - Michelle Hafernik
- Never Alone - Francis Hicks
- Honorable Mention: Slow Motion - Debs McCrary
- Honorable Mention: The Bard - Jason Chandler
- Los Compadres - Sally Clark
- Barbara, Marian, and the Elder - Nick Sweet
- Historic District - David Roberts
- Honorable Mention: Pick One - Jean Jackson
- Honorable Mention: Waiting with Wellington in Phoenix Park, Dublin - Christopher Knodel
Novel First Chapter
- Glass Flowers - Erica Seiler
- Land of Lost Souls - Jody Hadlock
- Pass - Joni Koehler
- Honorable Mention: Running Water - Kristi Johnson
- Honorable Mention: The Rift - S.H. Kelly
- Honorable Mention: El Rincon - Stewart Smith
Sign up to get e-mail notifications of our critique session locations and other events. This is a great first step. Visit a few meetings or critiques and then become a member of SAWG (see Membership page).